This quick and easy egg drop soup recipe is not only a healthy snack or part of a meal, it's also satisfying without a lot of calories or fat.
I discovered this recipe for a healthy version of egg drop soup that is also a quick snack. This high protein, low carb snack easily fits into any fitness program. I use this for a snack most often when I'm doing P90X, Chalean Extreme and Rev Abs. It is especially satisfying in the wintertime and a satisying evening snack if I just have to have something before bed. Plus, it's so easy to make up a single serving! For this recipe, I keep organic chicken broth (would also work with vegetable broth) on hand. I like the broth that comes in a box because it's so easy to refrigerate the extra. This is how I make the soup:
- Pour 1 cup or so broth in a small saucepan.
- Add 1/2-1 cup frozen chopped veggies.
- When broth starts to boil, lower heat so it's just simmering and add 2 beaten eggs or 4 beaten egg whites. (See Julie's comment below)
- Simmer on low 3-4 minutes. Stir gently.
NOTE: Boxed egg whites won't work for this. They just make it cloudy and the texture is unpleasant. Trust me! I tried.
Now here's what I did to this today, because really I vary this a lot according to what I have on hand.
To the broth:
- I added a handful of petite frozen sliced green beans and 1/4 cup frozen corn.
- When the broth was hot, I added 7 medium pre-cooked shrimp, a dash of Chinese 5 spice powder and then the egg whites.
Extra protein and low carb. Mmm…So easy. So tasty. I've even made it without veggies for an extra protein boost during the day. And when it's 0 degrees outside, hot soup makes a great meal or snack! And if you just need something in the evening but don't want a heavy snack that will stay with you all night long, try this soup.
Share in the comment section how you personalized this recipe!
Creating healthy habits, one at a time!